Friday, November 19, 2010

Chanuka

This week we started learning about the history of Chanuka. A long time ago the Jews lived in a place called Israel. They lived peacefully there and were able to do lot's of Mitzvos and learn Torah. They had a very special house for Hashem called the Bais Hamikdash. Every day a Kohen would light the Menorah there.

One day, a Greek king named Antiyochus came to Israel. He didn’t like that the Jews had one G-d. He thought they should serve idols or not have any Hashem at all.
Antiyachus said: “No more doing Mitzvos!” No more learning Torah, No more doing anything for Hashem! No more Shabbos! No more Torah! No more Kosher food.”
Anyone who is caught will be put in Jail! The Greeks did everything to make things not nice for Hashem, they broke Hashem’s beautiful house and they put not-Kosher pigs inside.
            The Jews were not happy, they didn’t want to listen to the Greeks, and they knew that the Greeks were telling them to make bad choices. Jews decided that if the Greeks won’t let us learn Torah, we will learn Torah in caves where they can’t see us!
Song:
I am Antiochus and this is what I say:
You will eat not Kosher food, that is what I say!

Chorus: 
What do we say?  We say neigh. Only I can control me!
 Who helps us fight with all our might is Yehudah HaMacabee.

I am Antiochus and this is what I say,
You will not keep shabbos, that is what I say:
 Chorus

I am Antiochus and this is what I say,
You will pray to idols, Whichever way I say:
Chorus

            There was a Tatty named Matisyahu who had five sons: Eliezer, Shimon, Yochanan, Yonasan, and Yehuda. They said we are not going to make the wrong choices and listen to Antiyachus! We will make the right choice and listen to Hashem!

We can also be like Maccabis, just like the Maccabis didn't let Antiyochus control them, they controlled themselves. So to we can "Stop, think and make the right choice"  and control ourselves.
Here is how we can make "maccabi choices:"

Chava: "When I make a mess, I clean up right away."
Yonni: "When my fish fell out of her cage with water, I gently gave her to my Mom."
Jacklyn: "I do my homework right away."
Zaylin: "When my friends are on line and they are pushing me, I don't push them, I just say: 'don't push me."
Shlomo: "When my brother breaks my toy, I wait for my Daddy to come and fix it."
Aaron: "When Moshe Eli breaks my toy, I say "please don't break my toy."
Emy: "When my babys sister bites me, I say: "I don't like it."
Ariel: "When I stick my finger in the fish's water, they bite me, so I will not stick my hands in the water."
Alan: "When morah tell me something, I listen right away."
Shimon: "When someone pushes me, I don't push them back."
Nosson: "When my brother breaks my toys, I tell him:  "I don't like it!"

When we stop, think and make the right choices we are controlling ourselves and acting like Makkabis!

2 comments: